Life Lessons

07:04

I'm turning 26 next month and whilst that isn't shockingly old, I am aware of the fact that it is the beginning of my late 20s. My sister already likes to remind me that I am a quarter of a century old. Sisters are nice like that. Anyway, as such, I thought it would be a good time to share with you some of my life lessons I have learned so far...


I actually find that I get along better with people older than me. I guess that although I'm modern in my attitudes to things, my hobbies are more old fashioned. I know a guy from South Korea who told me that it was very unusual there to have friends of different ages. I guess it just wasn't very culturally acceptable, which is a shame. I'm thankful to live in a culture where you be friends with whoever you like.
And in turn, appreciate people for who they are. There are always going to be people who don't like you or agree with you or who think you're 'too' something. Putting yourself with these negative people will only bring you down. Just because these people don't appreciate you doesn't mean no-one does. Find people who love you because of your obsession with odd socks, not in spite of it. Find people who laugh with you about tripping over your own feet. Find people who understand that crying for 20 minutes because of Wilson does not make you insane. Find people to smile, hug, laugh, cry and love with.

I used to worry a lot, and I mean A LOT. I'm not saying I don't now but I've come to realise that worrying helps no-one. Why waste your time on negative thoughts? It could never happen and if it does then time goes on. It's not going to be the end of the world. 
Sometimes life can be shitty. Some days are the worst but no matter how bad the situation, there is always something positive that you should make you smile. So, you had a bad day at work? Be thankful you had the opportunity and education to work at all. So, your pet died? Be thankful for the happy memories you have. If all else fails, there's chocolate (even dairy free if you're lactose intolerant!)
I LOVE travelling. Admittedly I haven't been to that many places but I have explored a bit and intend to do more.  I love discovering new places, people, food, cultures. It's so interesting to talk to people from different backgrounds. It's amazing the similarities and contrasts. The world is a beautiful albeit sometimes scary place with so many things to discover.
In other words-be yourself. We are all weird in our own ways and we shouldn't pretend otherwise. People's imperfections and quirks are what makes them who they are. The world would be a very dull place if we were all the same. 

People spend an awful lot of time doing things they hate and wishing they were doing other things. Well, why not just do it?! If you want to do charity work in Africa, do it. If you want to train as a hairdresser, do it. If you want to write, do it. Talking about it won't get it done. If you want something hard enough then you should make a way to do it. It may not be easy but you don't want to end up 83 and wishing you'd done all of these things. That being said, why should you stop at 83? A 95 year old just broke a Guinness world record! Go and live your life!
Nowadays people have very negative views on their bodies and it's such a shame. We should all learn to love and appreciate our bodies. My personal aim has only ever been to be fit and healthy. Sure, I look at some girls and wish for their more delicate features, their slim, toned arms, their cellulite free legs but who am I kidding? They have insecurities as much as the rest of us. We should learn to take the good with the bad. There is no perfect body, so learn to love yours. If you can't love it for how it looks then appreciate it for what it can do for you. Whatever you complain about or take for granted, someone else is dreaming of. If you want to see someone with an amazing body image, see Lizzie Velasquez. She is an inspiration.

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. Love this post! Love your blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete