Pines

09:51

Hey Readers and welcome to my first book review!
I'm a bit of a pain in the ass with books. I love books and I love reading but I'm so easily distracted with anything-a text, a TV programme, a shiny piece of paper... It takes a lot for a book to grab me and I have to be in the right mindset. Add to that a very critical reading mind and you've got one hard to please reader. Ugh, how frustrating.
 In fact, I used to get so annoyed with books that sometimes when I'd started reading them and had already decided that I didn't like the way they were written, I would attempt to rewrite them. Obviously this would only be just a paragraph or so but the point is this-I'm a tough critic...in my own way. So without further ado...my review. (A nice unintentional rhyme there!)
I have a confession to make. I have spent the last 7ish hours solidily reading this book (with a break for sleep. I was tempted not to but an Emma with no sleep is a crazy Emma.) 
To be honest with you, I don't really have a genre or style of books I like to read. It's more to do with the way they're written. And I'm not really sure what it was the drew me to this book. I was in a reading mood and flicked through a few possible books but nothing seemed to grab me. I think was a combination of the cover (I know. Don't judge a book...bla bla bla) and the first page. If I'd been in a more cynical mood, I think the page would've annoyed me rather than intregued me but thankfully I wasn't.
Pines is the first book in the Wayward Pines trilogy by Blake Crouch. Here's the jist of it. A man wakes up in the woods, beaten and sore, with no ID and no memory. He walks to a nearby, perfecct little town to find out what's happened. As he spends time in Wayward Pines and begins to regain his memory, he starts to wonder whether this little town is really as perfect as he first thought...
The book was very easy to read and although things didn't happen quickly, the pace was fast enough and the story exciting enough to make you keep wanting to read just one more page...
The protagonist; Ethan Burke was not exactly relatable in his background but you could understand the way he worked and was neither annoyingly cocky nor self depricating.
 I won't say any more because I don't want to give anything away. 
If you like books that are weird and twisty then this is a good one. (Spoiler Alert-It wasn't all just a dream.) 
8/10
Oh, and if you think it sounds good but can't really be bothered with reading it; you're in luck. FOX have just made it a TV series and it airs next month. I might have to read the next two books before it's on!
DO NOT WATCH THE TRAILER before you read the book because it shows too much!
Have you read it? What did you think of the book/s?
post signature

You Might Also Like

0 comments