Everything's Coming Up Rhubarb

08:16

Here's three recipes in one. Aren't you lucky? Haha. I suppose I could've spaced them out a bit but I thought I might as well do them all together. It may come in handy if you, like us, have been inundated with the giant plant :)
Rhubarb & White Chocolate Cookies
This is not an attractive picture, I grant you, but that is because, as soon as they were made, they got attacked by the gannets (Ma'n'Pa). As I'm typing now, the last ones are being demolished...so a definite hit!
I had the idea to make these cookies but weirdly, I couldn't find a recipe...or at least one I liked, so I improvised. I used this recipe for cranberry and white chocolate cookies and just swapped the cranberries for finely chopped, raw rhubarb. Worked a treat!
Warning-They grow a lot so don't do big spoonfuls and space them out!
Rhubarb Vodka
I had some leftover vodka (because I'm not really a fan) and I thought I'd give this a whirl. In hindsight I could possibly have fitted it all in the big bottle but never mind!
For 1 litre of vodka, add 600g rhubarb and 300g caster sugar. Leave to develop and shake every couple of days. After two months, you can strain it and voilà! Rhubarb Vodka!
Rhubarb & Ginger Jam
I'm not sure if I've made jam before but I may have. This jam is really, really scrummy! If you like rhubarb then you should really give it a go. It's so easy!





1kg chopped, raw rhubarb, 1kg jam sugar (or 1kg sugar and some pectin), a couple swigs of lemon juice, 1 heaped tbsp ground ginger






-Put the cooker on high! 
-Put a small plate in the freezer to test the jam later.
-Sterilise a few jars...I had random sized ones but have a few!! Better to have too many!
-Add all of the ingredients to a large pan and heat up.
-Let it boil for approximately 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. It needs to get pretty hot! Mind you don't burn yourself.
-The setting temperature of jam is 220f but this jam doesn't need to get quite that high. If you take the plate out of the freezer and pop a drop of jam onto it, it should set fairly quickly. If it's not set then keep on boiling.
-When the jam is hot enough, leave it to cool for a couple of minutes before dividing out into the jars.
-Seal while the jam is still hot and leave to cool.

The jam should keep for months in cupboards if the jars have been sterilised but once they've been opened, keep in the fridge. Enjoy!
post signature

You Might Also Like

0 comments